The Department of State Services (DSS) has reacted to report of Mahmood Yakubu, chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) obtaining a court judgement stopping his arrest by the security agency.
It was reported earlier that a federal high court sitting in Abuja had dismissed allegations of false asset declaration against Yakubu and also barred the DSS, the police, and Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) from investigating him over his asset declaration.
Reacting to the report on Friday, January 6, DSS spokesperson, Peter Afunanya said the service never went to court against the INEC chairman and has no case against him.
“This statement, however, becomes important to guide public understanding and perception, especially that the said report is misleading.
“It falsely left an impression that the service went to court against the INEC chairman.
“Nonetheless, the service is aware of the antics of some mischievous elements who are desirous of fomenting crisis in the country, including creating unnecessary controversies around the forthcoming general elections.
“One of their strategies is to subvert the efforts of the service in ensuring peaceful coexistence and harmony.
“Another is a determination to overheat the polity and subtly exploit the judiciary to distract or even undermine not only the Service but other security and law enforcement agencies from undertaking their constitutional roles.
“The DSS, therefore, warns these individuals and groups to desist from their devious plans. It also advises all critical stakeholders to be vigilant and resist attempts to use them to thwart the law.
“While assuring Nigerians and the international community of the service’s commitment to the maintenance of law and order, including an accomplishment of a free and fair 2023 election as already pledged by Mr President and commander-in-chief, the service urges all and sundry to join in the pursuit of national stability and unity.”
This post titled We have no case against INEC chairman first appeared on Arewamusik.com